Call 1-800-OILS-911 to report spills of any hazardous substance along the Pacific west coast (from California to BC). Callers in BC are routed to the Provincial Emergency Program (PEP, 1-800-663-3456), upon which they will notify the appropriate Environmental Emergency Response Officer within a regional office of the BC Ministry of Environment (Regional office numbers available here).
Canadian Coast guard can be contacted in BC at 1-800-889-8852 or on VHF radio 16.
Take note of:
- details (name, boat/vehicle information, telephone number) of the person who caused the spill
- spill location and time of the spill
- type and quantity of the substance spilled
- cause of the spill
- details of any action taken
- names of any agencies on scene or contacted
For more information, visit the Environmental Emergency reporting section of BC environment.